2021 Granite Creek Cleanup
Saturday April 17th, 2021
– Save the Date –
2020 CLEANUP CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
Granite Creek Cleanup
September 19th, 2020 | 9 AM – Noon
Granite Creek Park
Due to concerns about coronavirus and COVID-19, Prescott Creeks has cancelled the Granite Creek Cleanup which was rescheduled from April to September 19th, 2020. While the Cleanup represents an important community event connecting people and making a difference with creeks, Prescott Creeks believes that exercising extreme caution is the best course of action given the ongoing and developing conditions with the coronavirus and COVID-19 crisis.
“The decision to cancel the 2020 Cleanup was made late last week after surveys, research, and exploration of adapting the event to accommodate social distancing and other COVID-19 strategies,” reported Michael Byrd, Executive Director for Prescott Creeks. “Extensive discussion with past community participants, partner organizations, and event sponsors, combined with uncertainty about whether the already rescheduled event could be held safely led to the final decision to cancel the 2020 event.” Read the press release. We’re planning for next year:
Prescott Creeks thanks its 2020 cooperating partners:
- City of Prescott – Field and Facilities Services,
- City of Prescott – Recreation Services,
- City of Prescott – Public Works,
- Butte Creek Restoration Council at Prescott College, and
- Over the Hill Gang.
Sincere thanks are also extended to secured sponsors for the 2020 event which included:
- Mandalay Homes (Primary Sponsor) (Donated!)
- MI Windows & Doors (Donated!)
- Arizona Eco Development LLC (Donated!)
- Salt River Project (Donated!)
- Yavapai-Prescott Indian Tribe
- Greater Prescott Outdoors Fund (Donated!)
- Interior Logic Group (Donated!)
- Posey Nash (Donated!)
- Fraternal Order of Eagles Aerie 3600 (Donated!)
- Highlands Center for Natural History (Donated!)
- Jay’s Bird Barn (Donated!)
- Fann Environmental (Donated!)
- Fann Contracting, Inc. (Donated!)
- Lamb Chevrolet (Donated!)
- Country Bank-Mohave State Bank (Donated!)
- Alta Vista Garden Club (Donated!)
- Bike Prescott, Inc (Donated!)
- Great Expectations Business Services (Donated!)
- SW Property Sales & Leasing
- Prescott Audubon Society (Donated!)
This family-friendly annual event has removed over 48 tons of trash from our area creeks, lakes, and trails since Prescott Creeks began hosting it in 2007. This year we expect to cover more miles and pull out even more trash, making the Prescott area a more beautiful, safe place for everyone to enjoy.
Start the morning with signing in, getting a map, t-shirt, bags, snack, and coffee. Then head to the creeks and get a bit dirty tidying things up. Share the day, and celebrate our creeks and surrounding wild places, with your friends and neighbors. Granite Creek Cleanup: making clean creeks fun for everyone. Please send us your pictures!
Registered participants receive a FREE event t-shirt, snacks, and coffee. We’ll have water available to fill your personal water bottles from home.
Volunteers Participate in the following Activities:
Pre-register to make a difference, secure your spot, specify your tshirt size(s), request a creek location, and to help Prescott Creeks plan. Thanks.
- Granite Creek Cleanup
Annual Community Creek Cleanup removing trash & refuse from Granite Creek and its tributary streams. What better way to spend 3 hours on a beautiful Saturday morning in the spring. Make a difference in the community by signing up below. Family Friendly.
- Butte Creek Revegetation
Join the Butte Creek Restoration Council on Butte Creek between Willow and Sheldon Streets behind Prescott College to remove non-native plants and replant with native trees and shrubs appropriate for the riparian area. Wear close-toed shoes, sun protection, and bring water. Gloves and tools will be provided. Family Friendly.
- Virginia St. Wash Revegetation
Volunteers will transplant native vegetation from the Whipple Basin to the City of Prescott’s Virginia St. Stormwater Detention Basin located at Acker Park in an effort to improve the project’s effectiveness at improving surface water quality. Wear close-toed shoes, sun protection, muck boots or waders (if you have them), and bring water. Gloves and tools will be provided. Prepare to get your feet wet! Mud is almost guaranteed!
- Firewise Granite Creek
Work with the Over the Hill Gang to “Firewise” the Granite Creek Greenway at Mile High Middle School. Clear cut brush to increase sight-distances and thwart wildfire in the Greenway. Wear close-toed shoes, sun protection, and bring gloves and water. All tools will be provided.
- Scotch Thistle Removal (Tentative)
Love to hate this plant? Remove Scotch Thistle from the banks of Granite Creek upstream from Watson Woods Riparian Preserve. Scotch Thistle is a non-native, invasive plant that degrades riparian habitats and impairs riparian area functions and values. Help eradicate this plant that is in the top three of the Prescott Creeks Noxious Weeds List. Wear close-toed shoes, sun protection, and bring gloves and water. All tools will be provided.
- Sponsors make this event possible! Please consider sponsoring the Cleanup. Feel free to contact us now to discuss Cleanup Sponsorship for 2020.
- Connect with 2020 Sponsors above
- Connect with the 2019 Cleanup Sponsors
- Help Spread the Word: